Monday, October 16, 2017

Rites of Passage

I am not yet sitting on the perimeter of the dance floor gossiping with the other old ladies while the young people party. I still have some steps left in me, but I don't last long. It's not my music anyway. Fast, insistent and very loud. But I did get up for Aretha at a recent wedding. Aretha, my contemporary, my familiar. I respect her and she respects me. We have a long history going back to my springtime in the '60s when my dancing was a self-conscious performance art. The huge sound that comes out of her reminds me of a lifetime of celebrations, many pieces of cake. I am now not so much a participant as an observer at these festivities. I am there to maintain continuity and to witness a rite of passage, to hold it in the collective memory. I am there because the groom's parents are beloved to me and we would never think of marking any occasion in our lives without including one another. Long ago, we bought tickets to ride on the same bus with some of the same other passengers and we are still chugging along that bumpy road.

A community of people who have known one another for a long time is like a telescope that scans the heavens for ripples of activity. It observes the births of stars and grandchildren, the deaths of parents and then, in the course of things, the passing of the friends themselves. It picks up the audio as well, the babytalk, the weeping, the eruptions of joy. It is greater than the sum of its parts. When someone dies or even moves away, there is a complete reconfiguration of the shape of things, as if the number six were moved down a space in one of those 4x4 plastic slide puzzles we used to play with when we were children. Everything shifts.

Einstein understood this when he taught us about relativity, the idea that it is not possible to separate an event from its observation. The fact that history is witnessed by family, by old friends, is part of the history itself, beginning with the preparations, the anticipation. And this is true at every gateway, at every crossing, graduations, weddings, baby namings, diagnoses and deaths. Once back in the '90s, my husband and I and the parents of the groom from the recent event were guests at another wedding. I remember holding my breath and experiencing a deep knowing that this was a moment of unalloyed goodness that would not happen quite the same way again. People who were now laughing would soon be silent. I saw that simultaneously from the inside of the merrymaking and from the outside, watching it at a great remove. I got the whole picture and the picture included me.

Marking the passages of life alone is at best a miscalculation, at worst a rending of the narrative fabric. The weight of memory is too great to carry without help. My first marriage took place in City Hall in lower Manhattan, the two of us arriving in the ornate chambers unaccompanied. We had to ask the people behind us on line to sign the official documents, to serve as our witnesses. It was a funny story until it wasn't. And when my mother died twelve days after I visited her in the nursing home in Berkeley on her 99th birthday, I had already returned to the east coast. She had delighted my sister and me with her trademark rendition of the Marseillaise, waving her frail, bruised arm in the air like de Gaulle at a military parade.  But then, a few days later, all three of us were incapacitated by a virulent flu. My mother's ancient respiratory system failed and I was too sick to fly back to be with her. When she was finally actively dying, I was in a parked car listening on my cell phone. My sister held the phone up to my mother's ear so that she would know I was saying goodbye, but all I could hear was the whoosh of the ventilator, the chatter of the nurses. No one should lose her mother on the phone, sitting at the wheel of a green Subaru.

Life is with people. Better to be part of it, all the unravelling messiness, the pain and the partying. Better to break the bread, fill the wine glasses and create the ceremony together again and again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

seventysomething now has its own Facebook page. I will be posting the blog there as well as poetry, prose, photography and other work by wonderful older artists. Please Like the new page. 

Please share seventysomething with other interested parties. I welcome your comments on email, Facebook or on this blog. I have recently updated the comments function and hope it is easier to use. 


10 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of the most moving and brilliant pieces of writing I have every read. It is both personal and universal. Bravo!!!

Susie Kaufman said...

Thank you, Mark. I am honored and humbled by your response. There is such universality in these conversations. Writing this kind of material allows me to touch like-minded people in a community I had no idea I was connected to. Very gratifying.

Paula Nowick said...

Susie - count me in as part of your unknown community. Like Mark, I was deeply touched both by your heart-felt message and your exquisite poetry (disguised as prose). With gratitude, Paula

Susie Kaufman said...

So glad to know you're out there, Paula. And thank you for responding to both the content and the language. It's putting the two together brings me the greatest joy.

Unknown said...

This piece knocks the air right out of me - do deep, so insightful and so poetic. I love your opening. I'm there. You reel me in.

"My sister held the phone up to my mother's ear so that she would know I was saying goodbye, but all I could hear was the whoosh of the ventilator, the chatter of the nurses. No one should lose her mother on the phone, sitting at the wheel of a green Subaru." No, I'm so sorry.

I will read it again to sip in all it offers. I can see a beautiful book in all of your blogs...if that calls to you.

Thank you, Susie.

Susie Kaufman said...

I keep coming back to that phone memory. I've written about it several times. There was actually more to it involving the chatter in the background, how unholy it seemed. But maybe that's just me trying to control what can't be controlled. A deep mine of feeling in any case. What would we do if we couldn't write, Maggie?

Unknown said...

I wept all the way through this; it was such a deeply felt look at life from the other end--the end we are on now--the whole of it, no matter what comes next, this is how it is. Thanks for writing so beautifully.

Susie Kaufman said...

It wouldn't be the same without you, Peggy. The shared witness means everything to me and it gives me hope that all over the world, amidst all the bloodletting, families are celebrating too.

deb koffman said...

beautiful writing, beautiful story susie...i am grateful to read your stories and be moved to tears...i know my heart is deeply touched. thank you.

Susie Kaufman said...

Everything seems to evoke tears these days. We are all in such a tender place. It feels bittersweet, doesn't it? So grateful to be in this boat with you