Monday, October 30, 2017

Melancholy, Baby

All through October, we were disappointed. The leaves seemed to be heading straight to brown without stopping to rest at flame red, burnt orange or gold. Everywhere I went for weeks, people were commiserating with one another. "It's a bad year for color," people said, evaluating the state of nature in relation to how much pleasure it gave them. Too much rain or not enough rain or the nights weren't cold enough. There was a disturbing silent subtext to these conversations. What if climate change had come in the night to wrest the spectacular reds and oranges out from under us? What if the party was over? Fall color is not just an annual reunion of maples and birches dressed to kill. We rely on it to maintain our sanity in New England, an immoderate binging before the deprivations of winter when the walls close in on us and we're stuck looking at our aging faces in the mirror.

Still, in the end what color there was came on slowly and lasted much longer than usual. Like an old friendship, it had its own faded loveliness. The whole landscape was over some hill, a woman, gone grey but still beautiful. The end of October rains came, giving it all a washed out late empire look. We didn't get the scarlet jolt we were longing for, the kind that endangers your life when you swerve off the road gawking at it. The long-anticipated peak never came. Autumnus interruptus. What we got instead was late-breaking spikes of color like flames shooting up from candles about to go out. It reminded me of America.

The country is indisputably in decline and many seventysomethings are watching in horror as the spectacle unfolds. The bridges are crumbling. Oxycontin is killing off whole towns. Torchlit armies of furious white men in Klan regalia have marched in Virginia and the stories we learned long ago in school no longer ring true. The lullabies we sang to ourselves about our great democratic institutions, checks and balances....that sort of thing....are painfully out of tune. They no longer seem to have the juice to inoculate the culture against an epidemic of pervasive, tubercular greed. They seem helpless to protect us from the grasping of the insatiable rich emboldened by the rage of the nativist
left-behinds.  Now in New England, the wind is coming, knocking the remaining color off the trees, leaving us all exposed to the approaching winter, the tax bill, the military posturing, the flood of hate speech and on top of it all, we are entering the November of our lives. If we expected a safe, rocking chair old age, no can do. We are in for a rude awakening. Just when we thought we could take a nap, we are being called to scrape off the old paint of American exceptionalism and face the unvarnished truth, the depth of the river of inequality, the omnipresence of injustice, the reality of climate change.

A friend posts on Facebook "the world is breaking my heart" and I am grateful for the invitation to go there with her, at least temporarily. This is not like me. I'm usually ashamed of despair, a weakness of character, I think. I'm attached to the spiritual imperative to rejoice in being alive. But I can't maintain the effort of hope all day every day. Not when a photogenic, grinning woman on tv is advertising portions of "delicious emergency food," a grisly new business opportunity. Not when the families of the Las Vegas victims are being accused of some kind of macabre conspiracy against gun lovers. I need a day like today, showers starting in the morning and gathering into torrential sheets of rain and wind, the better to reflect my mood of retreat.

I decide to stay close to home, reading my mail, checking my feed in a flat, diminished frame of mindlessness. After a while, I pick my MacBook up off the couch to plug it in to the charger. Out from underneath the body of my cherished writing, my love affair with self-expression, a monstrous insect crawls out of prehistory and stares up at me from the frayed seat cushion. His is an unexpected and eloquent Darwinian visitation. This insect has seen fall color come and go, the first white men descend upon the virgin continent, the rise and fall of America in the intervening centuries. This insect, who has been living under my life in language, under my alternating bouts of hope and despair, will be here long after we're all gone, a thought both terrifying and comforting.


seventysomething now has its own Facebook page. I will be posting the blog there as well as poetry, prose, photography and other work by wonderful older artists. Please Like the new page. 

Please share seventysomething with other interested parties. I welcome your comments on email, Facebook or on this blog. I have recently updated the comments function and hope it is easier to use. 


14 comments:

Barry Dym said...

A beautifully rendered lament. I'm with you all the way.

Susie Kaufman said...

I just love the word lament. Thank you for giving my writing such a deeply resonant title. Now that it's up, I can concentrate on your Stanley Kunitz piece. Thank you!

Unknown said...

You expanded beautifully on "the world is breaking my heart" and I am sorry to say that the insect you think will postdate you, may not. They are leaving too. They know when to get off the train, or have to....

deb koffman said...

thank you susie, I deeply connect to your words, and awareness...you bring such beauty to this world...as it is.

Susie Kaufman said...

Peggy - I always get in trouble when I write about animals. Once, I called something a duck that was a pelican or some such thing. Someone else wrote about the insect and called it a cockroach. Not a cockroach. One of those enormous leggy things that seems to have moved in to my house. Are they really dying out?

Deb - It's a joy to hear from you. I especially appreciate the phrase...."as it is."

Sonia said...

As a child, I was told rain is the universe weeping.
A lovely visitation.

Susie Kaufman said...

Was that something you learned from your parents? It's a beautiful image and fits right in with the mood of the last few days. Now, the sun has come out and we've just returned from a brisk walk. Somewhat less melancholy.

Sonia said...

I think I made it up. A case of anthromorphizing. The world weeps with me.

Susie Kaufman said...

Well, you're an artist so you're entitled to make things up...

Marjorie Power said...

One of your most eloquent pieces. And one of my hopes today, my 70th birthday, is to become as eloquent as you.

Susie Kaufman said...

Happy Birthday, Marjorie. seventysomething is good stuff. I'm moved by your connection to my writing and know, for certain, that your work is touching many others as well.

Unknown said...

Wow. I'm feeling sad, despair, hope and admiration for your insight. Your whole description of this autumn so nailed it from conversations to worries it was climate change and then the way we had flares of brilliant color the last few days.

Today felt like this...." the wind is coming, knocking the remaining color off the trees, leaving us all exposed to the approaching winter.

Thank you, Susie. Is your blog still being picked up by NPR? It's so worthy of a big audience for whom your words express what we've not been able to express.

james brownn said...

Thanks for the valuable and insights you have so provided here...
Medicine Hat Dentist

Susie Kaufman said...

Much appreciate hearing from you, James. It's raining hard here today, the day after DT's horrific remarks about Haitian and African immigrants. So....I guess melancholy is the prevailing mood.