Monday, July 3, 2017

You Belong to Me

I have a cousin in New Jersey who is 83. He and his wife meet us for lunch in Rhinebeck once a year. Because of the age difference, my cousin went off to college when I was only seven, so I barely knew him growing up. But now, I look at him over the chicken salad and I see my mother's nephew. When it's time to say goodbye and drive home, I'm bereft. It's like losing my mother again and again.

You belong to me, I think, watching him walk to his car, and I belong to you. This yearning to connect has always been with me, lurking in the background, often unnoticed. I hardly know it's there. It was the thin air I struggled to breathe growing up on the fourteenth floor of the apartment building on 83rd street with all of the other strangers in all of the boxes stacked high off the asphalt. No neighborhood children in the yard asked me to come out to play. No paper boy tossed the funnies onto the porch steps. When the front door slammed shut on 14E, the separation was complete. It was cozy in winter when the sleet drummed against the windows and the sun went down at 4:30. But in summer, you could see people through the gauzy curtains, out on the street far below, in the lingering daylight savings twilight. You could see them strolling by eating ice cream cones and you wondered...why are they so far away, so untouchable?

It could be that the flavor of this childhood, coming-of-age in Manhattan cooped up and sorted like an advertising flier into a post office mail slot, informed my resistance to joining. On one side of the scale, the breathless desire for belonging; on the other, the fear of it. Fear of membership, of the expectations of community, of choosing an identity that somehow excluded other identities. What would it mean to be unconditionally a Jew, a woman, those weighty nouns? I have crouched low in the trenches of that battleground for almost 72 years, but now I see a new story cresting the hill, a detente between desire and fear. The new story arises out of the discovery that communities are constantly in motion, more like verbs than nouns, while the nouns themselves are mercurial, gender identities unfolding on a spectrum, spiritual traditions freely borrowing from one another.

Communities merge and diverge like the reflecting surfaces of a kaleidoscope, each of us belonging to a great many shifting configurations. Just think of the temporal and spatial axes for starters. We belong to our families, from the mothers who cut our toenails and painfully combed the knots out of our hair, all the way back to someone foraging for mushrooms in the steppe. We carry the backpack of their genetic material wherever we go. My cousin is part of that baggage of blessing. Our stories interpenetrate their stories in the white spaces between the lines of text the way every line of Torah resonates with all the interpretations of all the readers across the millennia. This awareness of belonging to the line of kinship, passing the inheritance along from generation to generation for better or for worse, is a familiar understanding, a sometimes deep, sometimes maudlin acknowledgment of origins.

My belonging to all the world in the present instant is a more recent, a more radical discovery. It turns out that the skin on my belly is a membrane somewhat arbitrarily separating what I have already known or digested from everyone and everything out there that I could come to know. Costa Ricans, horses, the sky and the surf in varying shades of blue. With so many possibilities, belonging is not an imprisonment, an irrevocable condition. Belonging is an ongoing series of decisions to cultivate curiosity and trust, a recurring dream. Children know this. Once, I walked the length of a porch with my granddaughter when she was, maybe, 18 months. At the end, we came to a big step that led to the yard. Without a word, she held out her tiny hand for help. We took the big step together just as I take the big step with my cousin every year, drawing him close then letting him go. The communities that I belong to are affiliations of the heart. The people I make art with, the people I meditate with, the people I break bread with, the food I eat and the people who harvest it. I belong to you and you belong to me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this link to an article in Orion Magazine on the seventysomething Facebook page...but in case you didn't see it, please read.
https://orionmagazine.org/article/speaking-of-nature/

seventysomething now has its own Facebook page. I will be posting the blog there as well as poetry and other work by wonderful artists. Please Like the new page.

Please share seventysomething with other interested parties. I welcome your comments on email, Facebook or on this blog. If you do not have a gmail account, comment as Anonymous, but please tell me who you are in the body of the remarks. Click on comments (it will say how many there are), select Anonymous from the drop-down menu, enter your comment and hit publish. If you do comment, I will respond on the blog, so please check back so our conversation can continue. 

8 comments:

Barbara Drosnin said...

i love this one susie. on maslow's scale, after food clothing and shelter (i used to think this one one long word) a sense of belonging comes next for meeting one's basic needs. broadening the scope of belonging, exploring what this means in each moment as we too change, seems to be something that comes with this territory of being 70 something.

Susie Kaufman said...

What really interests me is how what makes a person feel that she belongs changes so much over time. It's certainly nothing like it was in high school, baruch ha-Shem. Thanks for reading.

Jinks said...

Achieving a fine balance between union and separation is one of the challenges of spiritual and psychological maturity. Your intimate portrait here, of some of your story along this continuum, touches me very deeply. From the moment you say goodbye to your cousin until the moment I meet some of the people with whom you are currently joined, I am in joyous tears of appreciation: for you, for the fineness of your language, and for the depth of your soul.

Susie Kaufman said...

It's wonderful to have such a receptive reader with such a nuanced appreciation of what I'm trying to say. I meet you, too, in the white spaces between the lines.

Anonymous said...

Susie dear, I read this, was meaning to reply immediately as I found it to be deeply moving, but I was sidetracked by a death. "Belonging" has always been elusive for me despite the fact I love people, but of course, how could one not! Still, I've keep company primarily (now that my children are grown) with my dogs and cats. I haven't replied because my beloved Allie, a 15yr.old Australian Shepherd, the sweetest dog on Earth, suffered a health crisis. She was buried yesterday and my grief became merged with the words in your exquisite story. The loss of my dog mysteriously made me feel how much I love the people in my life. I don't know what I mean by this. Perhaps it's that in grief one is brought to a softness, a yielding to the cycles of life. Perhaps your writing is so profound, so poignant, it very simply explains the complexities of life, living, belonging, death and the realization love is love no matter it's for another human or an animal. Truly, I love this piece as I love you. Joan E. here.

Susie Kaufman said...

This is so hard, dear Joan. Allie was a beautiful being. I think you're right about the softening that comes with grief. None of the defensive armor has any value. You just become wide open. Love is love and you've given so much.

Alan said...

Touching and beautiful. It resonates deeply in my soul.

Susie Kaufman said...

Very good to hear from you. I believe there's a vibration that moves along from me to you to those you love and draws us all in.