Sunday, July 30, 2017

Breaking and Entering

Birthdays are like party crashers. They show up in your life uninvited and start making demands. More drinks, more cake, more attention. New shoes with your $5 off birthday coupon from Famous Footwear. Sometimes, you just have to invite them in and pretend you know them.

The other day, in an attempt to make friends with my 72nd birthday, I decided to treat myself to a half day at Kripalu, the yoga center. They were hosting TEDxBerkshires 2017, a program of TED talks by local luminaries accompanied by the usual gourmet vegan lunch offerings, yoga classes and meditation. I am by nature an underdeveloped consumer and almost never buy myself anything. This may be an area of self-improvement I'll want to focus on going forward. Maybe I'll make it part of my spiritual practice to indulge in some unusual self-gifting in every remaining year on or around the 2nd of August. In any case, I was terribly pleased with myself for whipping out my VISA card to make this purchase. Entering my card number filled me with a great sense of reckless abandon. So much so that I ran into the kitchen and grabbed a handful of almonds to further feed myself. I bit down on a hard, resistant nut and immediately cracked off substantial chunks of tooth and old filling, crumbling teeth being an inadequately acknowledged aspect of aging. What are we to learn from this episode? Nuts can be bad for your teeth? Impulse buying is a sign of poor character and must be punished? The jury is out.

About four days before the Kripalu incident, I was sitting in my meditation sangha, experiencing a particular serenity. Outside the building, it was high summer in the Berkshires. Not wall-to-wall-traffic-in-Great Barrington high summer, but the lilies-blooming-and-bullfrogs-croaking kind. Inside, seven or eight people I don't know well, but feel connected to in a way I can't explain, were practicing in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh, the Order of Interbeing. After the sit, there was walking meditation and dharma sharing. At the end of the 90 minute gathering, I went out to the parking lot in the late afternoon mid-July sunshine, got behind the wheel and backed into someone else's car. As I am in thrall to the need to uncover meaning in events, my first thought was - you better watch where you're going. My second thought was - I'm probably not as serene as I think.

Glimpses of serenity appear like weekend getaways from a pervasive underlying grind of vulnerability. No matter how many planks and bridges I execute on the gym floor, I am fragile. I am open to criminal mischief. I am human and I can be hurt. I am mortal. I will not always be here with my narrow shoulders and wide hips the way I am now. The reality is I have almost no control over anything. I can be more careful in parking lots, but sooner or later there will be damage, maybe even blood. Considered in this light, these petty larcenies are God's way of breaking and entering me, barking at me until I recognize what I am determined to resist. Nothing is forever. Serenity would be advised to learn to tolerate its noisy downstairs neighbor vulnerability.

Once, when I was 40ish, I was sitting in a restaurant in West Stockbridge with a group of friends, eating and drinking, partying in that moony, indifferent way we used to party. The table was set with burning candles. In those days, I had an unruly head of frizzy hair, my unkempt curls extending in all directions. When I leaned forward, the better to share the vodka-marinated moment with my friends, my hair caught on fire. But because the split ends were so far away from my scalp, I didn't feel the heat. I wasn't aware that I was seconds from immolation, from going up in flames like yesterday's papers, until my friend, Jimmy, himself dead only a few years later, threw his jacket over my head and extinguished the fire. I guess you could say that was a wake-up call. Now, I'm wondering, what was the common parlance for this light bulb effect before hotels offered wake-up calls and do we need a new word now that we are all responsible for our own getting woke?


seventysomething now has its own Facebook page. I will be posting the blog there as well as poetry, prose, photography and other work by wonderful older artists. Please Like the new page. 

Please share seventysomething with other interested parties. I welcome your comments on email, Facebook or on this blog. If you do not have a gmail account, comment as Anonymous, but please tell me who you are in the body of the remarks. Click on comments (it will say how many there are), select Anonymous from the drop-down menu, enter your comment and hit publish. If you do comment, I will respond on the blog, so please check back so our conversation can continue. 



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Glimpses of serenity appear like weekend getaways from a pervasive underlying grind of vulnerability."
This line speaks to me directly and with beauty. -Pam Lauer

Susie Kaufman said...

Thank you, Pam. Some sentence constructions are like erector sets. You just keep adding pieces and hope they're stable enough to hang together.

Unknown said...

I'm getting used to, but not blaise, about reading a wonderful piece of yours every other week and this is no exception--however, I think that "artificial invulnerability" probably deserves a piece all its own tho it lives between the lines in this piece.

Unknown said...

BTW, "illusion of vulnerability" is better than "artificial"

Susie Kaufman said...

Agreed. Illusion of invulnerability (note the prefix) wins out. Not in life, of course, but in language. Blog topics arise in the mind of their own volition. So we'll see what follows.

Unknown said...

Love this piece! It seems one aspect of wisdom is getting to the point when we know we aren't "all that" and accepting what and who we are. This piece tells that story. Glad you are developing a fb page. Happy Birthday!

Susie Kaufman said...

Thanks, Betsy. There's a way in which we are "all that," but not in the way we commonly believe. Don't you think?

Jinks said...

How do you do it? How do you make the so-human, so terrifying, so vulnerable aspects of life so funny, so beautiful, and thus, oddly, comforting. This is DEFINITELY my favorite piece. But then I've said that several times already, and no doubt will say it many times more.

My way of thinking and talking about this, as you well know, is about the illusion of control. I liked what you said yesterday: at this stage of life, the main event is letting go!

Susie Kaufman said...

Jinks, dear. It's wonderful to have this exchange in the light of our phone encounters. It's all of a piece. You are part of this blog and the ongoing unfolding of our understanding and the art that each of us is making.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Susie... My birthday is Friday and you are right on about birthdays.
How they just show up and insist that you recognize and respond to them. Now I
understand what my struggle with them is all about. Pretend I know them and
invite them in. Oh Crap ! ! ! One would hope they will bring gifts with them. I
imagine the year unfolding will be a package of gifts. I do choose to see it as very possible. I love gifts...
Blessings to you Dear One, Amelia

Susie Kaufman said...

Wishing you gifts you can't imagine on your birthday and throughout the year. Thanks for reading me!

Anonymous said...

Susie dear, this piece is grand and true and funny, singular in your spot-on take of what we all have to face if we're lucky to live so long. Bill Moyers would love your writing! That's a compliment, of course. I don't know why I thought to say that, except he talks about the "Life of the Mind." I think you share this with us, the life of your wondrous mind! xoxo. Joan here with love and endless admiration.

Susie Kaufman said...

Sometimes, it seems like a miracle and a mystery that one mind can reach another mind....don't you think? You spoke to me so powerfully the other night at IWOW. Glad to reciprocate with this blog piece.

movesound said...

Besides (or alongside) your gorgeous writing, you always choose the perfect image to accompany the flow. Thank you, dear Susie!

Susie Kaufman said...

Very pleased to hear you say that. The words come more easily than the images....but I'm learning. Learning every day.

Anonymous said...

Susie dear, There are no words - no words good enough to describe this piece of sheer brilliance. Each sentence is a gem. It's like you take us on a magic carpet ride whizzing past our decades. It's one helleva exciting ride. You keep getting better at this writing thing, girl! Love the 2nd person. xoxo Joan here