Monday, May 8, 2017

On Impermanence

We all wanted to be Joan Baez. It wasn't about the vocal range or the political passion. It was the hair...that long, straight, black hair. We all had jewfros, nests of uncontrolled frizz burgeoning out of our overworked brains, as if the electrical impulses of precocious literacy and self-consciousness had gone haywire. We suffered the cartoonish antics of hair springing off the head of someone with her finger in a wall outlet. Some girls put their heads on ironing boards and pressed their curls into a flat, singed stink. Some took it a step further. I got off the Broadway local at Times Square and climbed a steep, garbage-strewn staircase to an enormous salon that specialized in straightening, the only white person in the room. The treatment was like something that should have been outlawed by the Geneva convention, a thick paste applied at the roots that scorched the skin right off your scalp. You had to submit to this torture for a length of time, flipping through old copies of Ebony. The goop gave off the same odor as the stuff they would paint on to send your hair in the opposite direction. If, let's say, you were getting a permanent, replicating the style of a famous model or actress. Apparently, whether you were going from frizzy to straight or from lank to curly, the punishment was intended to be equally painful and sulfurous. A season in hell for the sin of failing to be satisfied with who you were.

This, then, became the paradigm. Whatever you looked like, you wanted to look like someone else. Whatever gifts had been bestowed on you, they were the wrong gifts. Whatever club included you, it meant automatically that you wouldn't be caught dead belonging to that club. What does that even mean....."caught dead?" Maybe it means finding yourself in the irreparable situation of arriving wet and cold on the far shore of your life and discovering, too late, that you have expended your time here masquerading as another person altogether, hoping to be admired in what was at one time called a bathing costume. Once, in my early twenties, I ventured too far out in the surf at Montauk. A predatory wave knocked me down and snatched my bikini top. I took in a gallon of salt water. I could have drowned going back under trying to find it, but instead I ran up on the beach topless. In spite of the exposure, in spite of the shame, I chose the naked alternative. This is the story I'm telling myself now, my midrash on the biblical dictum, Choose Life. Be naked, be frizzy. Occupy yourself while the house is still standing.

This is especially true when I am writing. People who write, draw, dance or any of the other divine mimicries are especially vulnerable to self-doubt. There's not much point in doing it if you're dressing up as someone else. The role of playing Zadie Smith has already been cast. Richard Ford has cornered the market on Richard Ford. I have to rescue my stories from the undertow and bring them up for air. Once my words are out there, they are no longer mine. I can't swaddle them. I can't keep them safe. There is always potential for misunderstandings, for damages. I was struck recently by the comments of a friend who is now showing three-dimensional drawings, fragile paper sculptures. What if they get torn, I asked her? What if they get dirty? Maybe they're supposed to be impermanent, she explained. Maybe I'm making them just for the pleasure of making them. It would be, I thought, like cooking a meal to be enjoyed and consumed, like writing a blog. You make it, you offer it up, you let it go. Doing this is practicing a radical theology.

The spirit that sustains all of life never rests, I remind myself. Creation is ongoing, giving birth to new apple blossoms, new words, new poems. It is constantly recycling old songs, old thoughts, old versions of the self. Not only am I not Zadie Smith or Joan Baez, I'm not even the person I was last week. I am a swarm of words, a frizz of awareness, getting acquainted with impermanence, the truest friend.


Please share seventysomething with other interested parties. I welcome your comments on email, facebook or on this blog. If you do not have a gmail account, comment as Anonymous, but please tell me who you are in the body of the remarks. Click on comments (it will say how many there are), select Anonymous from the drop-down menu, enter your comment and hit publish. If you do comment, I will respond on the blog, so please check back so our conversation can continue.
 

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry I haven't been commenting--not wanting to go through the trouble of setting up--technologically speaking. But this one--perhaps because it's about hair, acceptance and impermanence--pushed me to it. Love this piece!

Susie Kaufman said...

So appreciate your response. Because of the effort you made, because of your personal connection to the subject and just because it's a pleasure to hear from you. This was a piece that really had a life of its own. I had no idea where it was going, so I'm particularly gratified that it reached you.

James Lawrence said...

Haha, nice piece Suzie! Maybe you can scare us all straight at last from the permanent impermanence of creative mindfuscation.

movesound said...

Susie, Thank you for your writing. Your choice of words, their placement and their rhythm leave me smiling like it's late night at the Village Vanguard.
Groovy appreciation,
Giovanna

Susie Kaufman said...

Hey, Jim. Great to hear from you. I'm trying to enjoy it minute to minute. Beyond that, it's anybody's guess.

Susie Kaufman said...

Giovanna! Wish we had crossed paths back in those heady days. On the other hand, I didn't really get it at the time. Now, I sometimes do and sometimes find the words. God, I love words.

Roz said...

Susie, what a stream . . . glorious locks of rivulets, running . . . oh Rapunzel,
O. Henry, I LOVED it all!!

Susie Kaufman said...

It did feel like it was tumbling out! Wonderful to experiment with different subjects, different styles.

Peggy Reeves said...

So grounded and light at the same time. I see the wall socket hair as your imagination springing forth and this piece coming from the crossing point of that anchored energy with the brilliance of your creativity and memory.

Susie Kaufman said...

This is a sizzling response. I'm really getting into the language of electricity. Thank you so much for adding the aspect of memory. It's a mysterious element that transcends the laws of physics. Much appreciated.

Jinks said...

What a delicious piece this is...your wild creative humor, and the vulnerability of putting yourself "out there;" out here, as it stands! And so interesting for me to read, having grown up in South Africa. We didn't know from Joan Baez, but we did know to try and smack our hair into submission on ironing boards; and how to dress like all the others and giggle like them too.

deb koffman said...

i love this piece susie...love the rhythm of how you use language, intertwining imagery using the same word(frizz is one of them!)i appreciate you using our conversation about the doodles getting 'dirty' or torn as a lesson on impermanence...now want to share your story as it has enhanced my own!!! and you/it made me laugh reading....love seeing you in hairdresser enduring pain and suffering in the name of 'beauty'. love, deb

Susie Kaufman said...

What is it about hair? The piece started off being about not accepting who one is...but then wandered into a meditation about impermanence. There's a fascinating tension for me between the fixed self (who I think I am) and the constantly mutating self (who I am in this instant but not in the next.

Susie Kaufman said...

I'm very energized by the cross-pollination of our two stories about impermanence. I'm always learning from you. That's where the juice is!

Anonymous said...

When you said we all wanted to be Joan Baez because of her hair, I remembered my long, almost straight hair from the late '60's, and the boy who wanted to "take Joan Baez's voice" out for a cup of coffee after he heard me read poetry. So I wondered where YOU would take me with this piece! And I loved the little journey! This piece is definitely a keeper. I hope it travels wide and far. -- Marjorie Power

Susie Kaufman said...

Marjorie! Very good to hear from you. In the midst of impermanence, Joan is a constant. I lived in Sweden for two years with my first husband who was a draft resister. Joan and her hair came to visit the Americans in Stockholm. Memorable.

Kaya said...

loved this- I see my hair as a new adventure every day-owning it, disowning it, chopping it, blowing it, stretching it, growing it- endless opportunities to explore new selves when I allow myself the freedom to do so. My growing edge? Graying it. Owning my age.

Susie Kaufman said...

This is such an expansive view of changing one's mind about hair constantly. Instead of seeing the endless parade of different attitudes as an unwillingness to just accept it once and for all, I think you're suggesting that self-perception, like everything else, is impermanent. Very useful response. Many thanks.