Saturday, May 21, 2016

Mix It Up

Veterans wearing red poppies
Remembrance Day London 2011
Despite the fact that I have been living a pastoral idyll since Nixon trounced McGovern, I am at my core a city girl. Or rather, I am a person with certain urban assumptions, grateful to be living in a place with almost no gridlock or garbage. These assumptions, the city person's habits of being, have nothing to do with cultural opportunities, although the benefits of late night jazz and Thai food cannot be discounted. I'm referring to the miscellany of human life that I encounter walking down one block in, say, New York. There's an exhausted young father pushing one of those ungainly two-seater strollers. One child throws his head back to guzzle his soy milk. The other wanders blissfully through baby dreamland. Behind them, two Dominican teenagers paint the sidewalk with fancy footwork, music surfing their brain waves through tender ear buds. Turning the corner, a massive black woman, diabetes in tennis shoes, drags her shopping bags home. The woman has a few choice words for the twelve-year old on a skate board who careens around the corner, almost knocking her down. One bags turns over sending pie apples rolling down Broadway, but they are retrieved by a fast-acting samaritan in a three-piece suit and a turban. As Joyce famously said, here comes everybody.

At home in the southern Berkshires, I've learned to make do with a more limited cast of characters set against an astonishing backdrop, green then russet then white, sometimes many shades of gray. Lines of well-mannered pre-schoolers on their way to story hour at the library. The annual Latino Festival in Lee, empanadas and salsa dancing on Main Street. I satisfy my craving for salty, spicy food at the Vietnamese and Indian restaurants, but, in the end, I know I'm living in a place primarily reserved for white people. Many of these people are either older and retired like myself or can afford to set up house far from any job market. Most of us who moved here from the city have traded the 24-hour urban buzz, the peacock plumage of costuming in the street, for a quieter, gentler, more predictable life where from one day to the next you see the same people, or at any rate people who look the same, when you stop at the Farmer's Market for fiddleheads in the spring and macouns in the fall.

The idea of having to give up living in the world, even this manicured version of the world, is anathema. Who was the greedy corporate con artist who first thought of putting all old people in one warehouse and calling it Pleasant Acres? Where is the recognition that these Senior Living arrangements are sinister ghettos that separate people from the texture of life lived in real communities? When you visit your Aunt Mildred in one of these places, you know in your gut that the incentive for herding the old under one roof is the same as the motivation behind prisons and factory farms. Let's round 'em up so we can manage 'em. We'll seat them at assigned tables in the dining room and feed them portion-controlled salisbury steak with canned green beans. We'll distract them with golden oldie sing-a-longs and holiday galas with party hats and noisemakers. They'll be fine. After all, it's not as if they have plans, divergent interests, deep personal histories that seek expression.

Don't send me to Senior Living. I'm not talking about a nursing home which admittedly I'd also prefer to avoid. I understand, I really do, that at a certain point I may not be able to manage my ADLs. That's Activities of Daily Living for the uninitiated. Bathing and dressing and getting the spoon from the bowl into your mouth. I may require nursing care even, if I can still carry out my own preferred ADLs, daydreaming, reading, praying. I may require someone to tie my shoes. But as long as I'm still able to decide between egg salad and pea soup for lunch, while I remain disdainful of bingo and would rather read Don DeLillo on a rainy day, have mercy on me and let me live in the world. I'd rather sit on a park bench covered in bird droppings than slouch on an upholstered recliner in a cavernous sitting room where a sprinkling of other residents are nodding in the middle of the afternoon.

I want to hear babies crying. I want to witness the struggles of the young and listen to their dance music. Give me my own little spot with a few strategically situated handrails and not too many steps and I'll take care of the rest. A little public transportation wouldn't hurt. Like I said, I'm a city girl. I came of age on the Broadway bus.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susie, Utterly heart wrenching, poignant and powerful writing. This story should be mandatory reading throughout society. It should be the impetus for college courses in social work programs, nursing and medical schools. It should be at the very least an op-ed piece in the "new" Berkshire Eagle, as well as the digital Berkshire Edge. It is one great piece vividly evoking, in the words of Joyce, "living death," an acceptable form of hell, not something I want, either! love, Joan

Deborah Golden Alecson said...

Wonderful piece, Susie. I see one scenario with the way things are going: baby boomers living longer with chronic conditions and young people who can't find jobs that pay enough to support independent living. Put this together and you have a generation of young people living at home whose work will be taking care of their aging parents. Each of us has to come up with a plan for when we can't take care of ourselves and have the quality of life that makes life worth living. In the end, each of us has to be willing to die.

Susie Kaufman said...

Yay! I'm reading you right on the blog. Really appreciate your enthusiasm I felt defiant while I was writing this post and almost called it Don't Fence Me In, but then remembered some unsavory people use that slogan. We're gonna make trouble if they try to corral us, yes?

Susie Kaufman said...

Deborah.....That's a creative solution but may not satisfy young people. In the meanwhile, we also have to be willing to live....to witness, to comment, to connect, to create. Thanks for being there in this space.

Deborah Golden Alecson said...

It is NOT a creative solution - it is a horrible solution. I didn't mean to give that idea. I wasn't clear that I was being cynical.

Susie Kaufman said...

Sorry...my cynicism radar is on the fritz. Of course, traditionally young people did take care of older family members. Sometimes, it was undoubtedly horrible....but maybe not always. Could be an intriguing topic.

Rosemary Starace said...

I'm with you, Susie. And how well-said!

Susie Kaufman said...

Thank you, Rosemary. Curious to hear how you react to my remarks about your digital poetry/art.

Rosemary Starace said...

I replied on FB--did you see? I found what you said thrilling! I had no idea, but I love that they seem like sacred texts.

Jinks said...

Oh Susie! How do you do it? Break my heart and make me laugh in the same gulp! And make me think, too, that I am so glad you are saying these things, every month or so, that need to be said. What compassion and passion, for the old, for life, for the very moment. I read a comment in a book which I adored and have been waiting to use: "the mouth on her!" Said in your case, it's a compliment. Much love and admiration, Jinks

Susie Kaufman said...

It's part of the beauty of aging, don't you think? You feel a freedom to say what rises to the surface and wants to be said. Thank you as always...S

Barbara Drosnin said...

four years ago a friend of mine whose work is geriatric mental health and housing asked me where i saw myself at 90. i normally don't see myself much further than a week ahead, so the conversation didn't go much further. having gone, since then, through the process of finding a way for my mother to live in place the last year of her life, and watching her live that last year of her life, i'm realizing that without a plan we start to make now, we're doomed when we reach later. what i know i don't want, is to make life difficult for my grown children when that time comes for me. i would love to have already found a viable solution for myself so they are not struggling with me around driving, housing/help, etc. american society makes nothing easy for the elderly which greatly complicates aging. my hope is that i drop dead suddenly while i'm still in good enough shape; that my belongings are culled through and organized so my kids aren't burdened with that either. i see nothing wonderful or even good about living long without health and ability. i'd rather live a shorter life, knowing i've done the best i can for as long as i've lived. short of this, like my friend suggested, it's important to start the planning when we have the control, to spare both our children and ourselves what happens without that pan in place.